BSM Insurance

All BSM-sponsored activities MUST be covered by insurance. This is a requirement and includes short term mission trips / projects, retreats, conferences, work days, concerts, and anything that involves ladders / hammers, etc. If something happens, let your supervisor know immediately and submit the report form within a couple days.

Activities that should not be sponsored by BSM

Due to lack of affordable liability insurance coverage these activities will not be sponsored by BSM at any time:

    • No bubble soccer or any similar type games

    • No inflatables

    • No BSM activity is to involve guns or bows, loaded or unloaded. Therefore, no hunting trips, no target practice in someone's field, no target practice at a gun range, no taking International students hunting, your staff hunting, one student hunting, etc. etc. This includes gun games.

Trip Insurance Forms

All trip insurance forms are located at (password is “harvest”) and look for "Trip Insurance Forms". You can find:

    • HSR / Lone Star Benefits Enrollment Form and an overview of this insurance

    • BGCT ACE International Insurance (including registration information, a summary of coverage, insurance card, medical & accidental report form)

Certificate of Insurance

The Certificate of Insurance (COI) form is used to request insurance for a BSM sponsored event when there is a contract involved requiring additional liability insurance. Download, fill out, and email the COI form to Cindy Zoller with a copy of the contract* and she will process it with our accounting office and return the certificate to you. It usually takes 2 weeks to get this to you, so please plan accordingly.

* The contract must show Baptist General Convention of Texas as the group name so for example, instead of showing XYZ BSM, please put Baptist General Convention of Texas – XYZ BSM. Also remember, it must state in the contract that the additional liability insurance is required.

Prior to the Trip

    1. Take out insurance with HSR

    2. Get every trip participant to fill out a release form (at the bottom of this page)

    3. Copy all drivers licenses of those driving

Liability Release Forms

When Borrowing a Van

If you borrow a vehicle, here are the questions you should ask:

    • Are we covered by the owner's insurance?

    • Who is the insurance company?

    • What are the limits of liability?

    • What information do you need from us to give to your insurance company?

    • If the liability limits are low (less than $100,000 / $300,000 / $100,000) or you are not covered by the policy, do not borrow the vehicle.

When Renting a Van

  • The BGCT Rental Car Insurance Card covers only employees. Thus, if you have a CMI, student, or volunteer drive a rented van, that insurance would not cover them.

  • If an non-BGCT employee will be driving the vehicle:

      • When you are at the rental counter or checking out online, make sure it is full coverage for the vehicle. This is usually called CDW (Collision Damage Waiver) or LDW (Loss Damage Waiver). These products will usually take care of any damage to the vehicle. Also, take the SLI (Supplemental Liability Insurance) that will cover up to $1,000,000 in claims if you are at fault in an accident.

    • An additional way you may be insured. If you pay for the rental with a credit card, there may be limited coverage available through the credit card company. These coverages vary greatly. So, before you depend on this coverage, please contact your credit card company and ask for the details of the coverage.

  • The people in the vehicle are covered by the Lone Star Benefits policy you take out on each trip. Costs of both the vehicle coverage and the Lone Star Benefits policy should be included in the overall cost of the trip and covered by the students participating.

Additional Insurance Coverage for Higher Risk Situations Like Disaster Relief

As you are taking out insurance for your group who will be working with Hurricane Harvey Relief, we wanted to make you aware of an additional insurance resource for your group. THIS IS NOT A REPLACEMENT FOR THE HSR COVERAGE WE REQUIRE YOU TO PURCHASE FOR YOUR GROUP. It is a low cost additional coverage that is a good idea when you are in higher risk situations like hurricane mud out.

    1. Go to:

    2. In the middle of the page is a bar for Policyholders. Choose the middle button for camp, college, travel ... this will give you access to the form for purchasing this additional coverage.

    3. Policy Number: 4325

    4. Organization: BGCT Collegiate Ministry

    5. Leader Information: BSM Director Name and BSM Address

    6. Group Name: Local BSM Info (ex: Texas State BSM)

    7. Phone: Your Phone

    8. Email: Your email

    9. At the bottom of the form you will need to enter:

        • Activity Description: (Harvey relief or BSM Retreat or BSM Workday)

        • Start Date: the day your event starts

        • End Date: the day your event ends

        • Number of participants: total number of people participating from your group

        • Number of days: number of days of the event

    10. Rate: enter $0.20 (That's correct. It is only $0.20 per person per day and provides $5,000 worth of coverage in case of an accident.)

    11. Once you hit Submit you will get a form to print so that you can send it with your check after the event. If you have more or fewer participants, you can change it on that form before you send the check. Let us know if you have any difficulty with this site.

In Case of Vehicle Accident

  1. Take care of the emergency, call 911 if necessary

  2. Notify local police if necessary and get a file number

  3. Get name, address, phone, and insurance information from other drivers

  4. Notify Philadelphia insurance immediately (phone number on back of card)

  5. Call Mark (903-530-8647) or Bill (502-594-2684) immediately and inform them of the accident (even if it's in the middle of the night or holiday)

  6. Talk to any parents if necessary, and let them know of the situation

  7. Send Jim Reed and Jeannie Miller an email with all the information within 24 hours (be sure to copy Mark & Bill on that email)

In Case of Injury

    1. Take care of the emergency ... go to the emergency room or urgent care center if needed. If there is any doubt, go to the hospital.

    2. Call Mark (903-530-8647) or Bill (502-594-2684) immediately and inform them of the accident (even if it's in the middle of the night or holiday)

    3. Talk to the parents of the student. Let them know of the insurance situation.

    4. Provide claim forms for the student.

    5. Follow through over the next several months to make sure forms are filed in a timely manner and that student/parents receive any money owed to them.

© Texas Baptist Student Ministry | | 214-828-5250 | Updated 10/14/2021